Mark your calendar and catch the Fiscal Wake-Up Tour on May 30 at the University of South Florida in Tampa. Time and exact location are still to be determined -- check back on this page for more information or visit the Concord Coalition site.
The purpose of this new issue-oriented grassroots project, organized by the Concord Coalition, is to draw attention to the simple fact that, according to analysts of diverse political views, current fiscal policy is unsustainable and hard choices must be made to set things right. To that end, we have joined forces with speakers from The Brookings Institution, Heritage Foundation, with frequent contributions from U.S. Comptroller General David Walker and other organizations. While each may differ in their proposed solutions, we all agree on the magnitude of the problem and the need for serious action.
Our emphasis is on the key areas in which we have found consensus, such as:
- The overall dimensions of the problem
- The nature of the realistic trade-offs that must be confronted in finding solutions
- The adverse and inequitable consequences for future generations if we fail to make serious changes, sooner rather than later.
Our mission is to cut through the usual partisan rhetoric and stimulate a more realistic public dialogue on what we want our nation's future to look like, along with the required trade-offs. We believe that elected leaders in Washington know there is a problem, but they are unlikely to act unless their constituents better understand the need for action, and indeed, demand it. Members of the Fiscal Wake-Up Tour do not necessarily agree on the ideal levels of spending, taxes and debt, but we do agree on the following key points:
- Current fiscal policy is unsustainable
- There are no free lunch solutions, such as cutting waste fraud and abuse or growing our way out of the problem.
- The best way to make the hard choices is through a bipartisan process with all options on the table.
- Public engagement and understanding is vital in finding solutions.
- This is not about numbers. It is a moral issue.
If you are interested in upcoming or past events, or would like to help us arrange an event in your area, please go to: http://www.concordcoalition.org/ and click on “The Fiscal Wake Up Tour.”